Cougars open football practice Saturday

The Cougars will hold their media day on Aug. 3. The first summer practice will take place that evening at 6 p.m., which will be open to the public and media.

UH’s fan appreciation day and Cougar Youth Experience will start that afternoon from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. inside the Athletics/Alumni Center. It will give fans the chance to meet the players and participate in similar drills they perform in practice.

New tennis recruit

The UH tennis team signed Tina Rupert with a National Letter of Intent Tuesday to join the program for the 2013-14 year.

Rupert, the prospect from Ljubljana, Slovenia, becomes the third newcomer for the upcoming season in a class that was rated the nation’s sixth best in the early signing period.

“We’re very pleased to add Tina to an already strong 2013 class. She is a tall, athletic lefty that has been well coached and comes to us with a solid foundation,” Sullivan said. “Even though she has experience with her national team and has competed extensively throughout Europe, Tina’s parents have done a great job of giving her a well-rounded childhood. She will be one of the few players coming to us that will be increasing her training and competition workload when she arrives.”

Rupert is one of her country’s top four performers and competed as an amateur in the Federation Cup in Israel for the first time in February against Bulgaria and the Netherlands.

“It’s exciting to know that she has barely scratched the surface of her potential,” Sullivan said. “We are really looking forward to getting her to Houston and seeing how she develops when plugged into daily high-level competition and a serious strength & conditioning program.”