Levine spills on skills of could-be quarterbacks

Freshman quarterback John O'Korn is one of five players cempeting to be the Cougars' starting signal caller next season. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

Freshman quarterback John O’Korn is one of five players cempeting to be the Cougars’ starting signal caller next season. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

Head coach Tony Levine has a season-defining decision to make at the most important position on the football field.

Within the next two weeks, the second-year coach will pick a starter at quarterback, from his pool of five candidates.Freshmen John O’Korn and Greg Ward will challenge junior college transfer Billy Cosh, sophomore Bram Kohlhausen and last season’s starter redshirt junior David Piland for the job. All three — O’Korn, Cosh and Ward, have been practicing without coaches since May when they arrived on campus.

After Tuesday’s practice, the third of the summer, Levine said each of the newcomers presents a unique set of skills.

About Cosh: “They are all different, starting with Billy Cosh– he’s certainly older… He’s been through some adversities and had some great experiences to help him grow. He’s got all of the intangibles of leadership qualities and maturity. Again he’s very knowledgeable — he picked up our offense in a short amount of time.”

About Ward: “Greg is very instinctive. He’s very smart and he’s accurate. He’s got great feet, he’s elusive. He can keep things alive if things break down — he’s done that already in the first couple of practices.”

About O’Korn: “John is certainly the tallest quarterback we’ve had. He’s got a tremendous arm… He’s a winner. He’s got great vision. and he’s got great leadership qualities as well.”

Levine said all three have one quality that he likes.

“When you talk about Greg and John, you’re talking about two just turned 18-year olds, who just went to prom three months ago. The one thing that all three have in common is they’re all winners. Everywhere they’ve been they’ve been big-time winners.”