Nation

Ahead of Higher Ed: Students ‘like’ prospective universities

As social media spread, it is only a matter of time before universities use this growth and youth attraction for recruiting purposes.

In a poll conducted by the higher education consulting firm Art and Science Group, 44 percent of students in 2012 said they used social media in their college search – a number that has increased from 18 percent in 2008, The Chronicle of Higher Education reports.

The UH Facebook page has 82,494 likes, and its Twitter account has more than 13,800 followers.

College enrollment drops nationwide

From Fall 2011 to Fall 2012, higher education enrollment decreased by 467,000 students, the US Census Bureau reported Tuesday.

The drop is thought to be a result of older students, or those older than 25, not enrolling. Enrollment of students older than 25 fell by 419,000 enrollments, while the number of younger students only dropped by 48,000, the Census reported.

The study, which broke down enrollments into race, noted that the Hispanic population increased by 447,000.

“This increase in the number of Hispanics enrolled in college can be attributed to the combination of an increase in the adult Hispanic population and their climbing likelihood of being enrolled,” said Julie Siebens, a statistician in the Census Bureau’s Education and Social Stratification Branch, in the Bureau’s article.

Students allowed to choose names

Beginning this fall, the University of Wisconsin at Madison is allowing students to choose what name they would like to be referred to by the university.

The policy allows name changing on most university records, such as online directories and class rosters. Transcripts, payroll, diplomas and financial aid records are excluded by the policy, Inside Higher Ed reported.

The new option was discussed last year by the university and was developed by the LGBT Campus Center, according to the Wisconsin State Journal.

“Many people don’t realize how often and in how many places one’s name appears,” said Lori Berquam, dean of students, in a Wisconsin State Journal article. “A system that allows a person to be called by the name that they prefer makes sense and benefits our students and communities.”