UH vs.Temple game notes

In the Cougars’ first American Athletic Conference game, several players stood out and helped lead them to a win. Here are the biggest factors in the Cougars’ first conference victory.

Sophomore receiver Deontay Greenberry:

Greenberry posted a team and career high of 14 catches for 168 yards. It was his first career 100-yard receiving game. Greenberry did most of his damage in the middle of the field with quick slants and seam routes off play action.

Sophomore running back Ryan Jackson:

Jackson had a career-high 22 rushing attempts to go along with his 118 rushing yards with a touchdown. Jackson was forced to carry the load when sophomore running back Kenneth Farrow injured his ankle during the second half. Jackson has rushed for more than 100 yards with at least one touchdown for the third consecutive game since last year’s season finale. The Cougars won all three of those games.

Junior linebacker Derrick Mathews:

Mathews had 13 tackles against the Owls, marking his 11th career game with double-digit tackles and his first of the season after he led the team with nine tackles in their season-opening win against Southern.

Defense:

In their first two games, the Cougar defense allowed only 26 points and forced a total of seven turnovers combined. The defensive line was also able to sack Temple’s quarterback, Connor Reilly, three times.

Goal-to-go struggles:

The Cougars were 0-7 for red zone touchdowns and didn’t cross the goal line until the final minute, when sophomore running back Ryan Jackson scored from eight yards out.

Special Teams:

Senior kicker Richie Leone converted five field goals. His 16 points scored — five field goals, one point after touchdown — tied for the seventh-most kick scoring points in UH single-game history. Leone has scored a total of 28 points in the first two games to lead the Cougars.