Health

Stay in shape with a dorm room workout

After long, stressful days of classes, work and assignments, overlooking the importance of exercising daily is easy, and for students, finding time to work out at a gym seems nearly impossible.

Melanee Wood, director of fitness at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center, stresses the importance of exercise and its benefits.

“Regular exercise is one of the most important things that students can do to set themselves up for success in and outside of the classroom,” Wood said. “Exercise has also been shown to help lower stress levels, increase concentration and even help students learn.”

Thirty minutes of physical activity five days a week can benefit individuals in many areas of their lives.

The American Heart Association suggests healthy adults dedicate at least 150 minutes per week to moderate exercise. The AHA identified benefits of physical activity including boosting mental wellness, improving physical wellness and prolonging optimal health.

Between classes, friends and homework, students may find that incorporating a trip to the gym is challenging. However, a great workout can be achieved without the use of gym equipment and machines.

Biotechnology junior Ade Ade, a physical trainer at the Recreation Center, explains the convenience of working out at home.

“About 30 minutes is all you need to achieve your fitness goals,” Ade said. “Body weight exercises can be done daily and in the comfort of your own dorm.”

The equipment needed for a good workout can be found in any dorm or apartment. Furniture, a floor and your body will do the job.

The Dorm-Room Workout has been developed to work target muscle groups in the body and is convenient and effective for students with busy schedules.

The Dorm-Room Workout

Complete this circuit three times. For additional information, read the explanations that follow.

Arms:

• 10 push-ups
  • 10 bedside dips

Legs:

• 10 lunges (per leg)
  • 10 squats
  • 10 calf-raises
  • 45-second wall sit

Core:

• 10 leg lifts
  • 20 crunches
  • 20 bicycle crunches
  • 45-second high plank
  • 45-second low plank

Full Body:

• 20 mountain climbers
  • 10 burpees

Bedside dips: With your back facing your bed — or any other piece of furniture about 3 feet high — place palms on the surface of the bed or furniture with fingers pointing forward. Extend your legs in front of you about 2 to 3 feet with both feet flat on the ground. Your body should be a straight slanted line. There should be no bending at the hips and no sitting on the furniture. Bend arms to create a 90-degree angle at elbows. Return to original position. Keep core tight.

Bicycle crunches: Lay in a crunch position. Lift your left knee, meet left knee with right elbow. Repeat for opposite side. Keep core tight.

Burpees: Begin in a crouch, with palms and feet on the floor. Push feet out to hit high plank, bring feet back and return to crouch, immediately jump up, extending arms and hands upwards. Return to crouch.

Calf-raises: Stand with feet together and legs straight. Raise up to the balls of your feet. Return to original position.

Crunches: Lay down on floor and bend knees, so feet are flat on floor. Cross arms over chest. Crunch half way. Do not lift chest all the way to your knees. Return to original position. Keep core tight.

High plank: Place palms and toes on the floor. Keep body straight. Evenly distribute body weight between hands and toes. Keep shoulders, elbows and wrists in line. Hold this position. Keep core tight.

Leg lifts: Lay down on floor, place arms straight by your side. Lift both legs to create a 90-degree angle at hips. Return to original position. Keep core tight.

Low plank: Place elbows and toes on the floor. Keep body straight. Evenly distribute body weight between elbows and toes. Keep shoulders and elbows in line. Hold this position. Keep core tight.

Lunges: Stand with feet together. Step forward with right foot. Bend both legs to create a 90-degree angle at knees. Return to original standing position. When executing, keep knee over ankle. Keep core tight.

Mountain climbers: Begin in high plank position, bring right foot up toward hands, switch to other side. These should be quick, with a slight hop in between each.

Push-ups: Begin in high plank, when executing push-up, bend arms to create a 90-degree angle at elbows. Return to original position. Keep core tight.

Squats: Stand with feet shoulder-width apart. Keeping knees over ankles and chest up. Bend legs to create a 90-degree angle at the knee. Return to original position. Keep core tight.

Wall sit: With your back against a wall, scoot feet out to resemble sitting in an invisible chair. Hold this position for the remainder of exercise.