Activities & Organizations

Students find opportunities at Engineering Career Fair

The Cullen College of Engineering held its biannual Engineering Career Fair Thursday in conjunction with student organizations like the National Society of Black Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers and the Society of Women Engineers.

“It is a great opportunity to find a suitable position, and more importantly, to network with potential employers and find out what they are looking for in their candidates,” said civil engineering first-year masters student Raghu Kapoor. “As an international graduate student, that is very critical.”

Students turned out to meet potential employers and to promote their student organization or learn about other organizations.

“The company professionals were highly impressed by our students, especially by their demeanor and preparedness,” said Senior Director of Professional Development Vita P. Como.

“They love the idea that our freshmen go (to the event), as it helps them get over being scared, which is in fact crucial when the time comes for them to apply.”

The fair was organized at the UH Hilton, with nearly 92 companies registered.

“It was great to see a lot of employers relevant to my major. The career fair was a great experience, but I hope there could be separate timings for freshmen (in the future), as the career fair got overcrowded,” said petroleum engineering junior Farah Azari.

The fair utilized eConnection, an online portal where students can apply for jobs and schedule their interviews.

“As of today, we have over 2,548 registered companies on eConnection and 2,316 interviews. The (Engineering) Career Center is growing exponentially in helping the students provide all the help they need in getting the right job. Mechanical engineering is the most-in-demand major, but students from all majors are getting offers,” Como said.

“We have recently got our cameras installed to provide the students with online mock interview preparations as well. The time that follows the career fair is very crucial; I would ask the students to be prepared for the interviews and if they ever need anything, the Career Center is there to help them.”

The fair is held at the beginning of the fall and spring semesters and is open to all students.