Opinion Web Exclusive

Kelly’s Korner: Tired of Miley? Download the free app to block her from your Internet

It’s on the news. It’s on the Internet. It has infiltrated the lives of ordinary citizens and has bombarded their eyes with unpleasantness. Yes, I’m talking about Miley Cyrus’ infamous twerking. The image of her unusually long, protruding tongue is almost enough to make one want to home-school their future children and shield them from the horrors of the world.

Honestly, I was very hesitant to join the large group of writers and reporters to give their two cents on her already excessively talked-about VMA stunt, but after hearing the most recent bit of news connected to the singer, I couldn’t help myself.

It can be agreed that the constant talk of Cyrus is infuriating and completely overshadowing of the more important issues in today’s world. Due to this overshadowing, it now appears that Cyrus has caused so much buzz and outrage that a piece of software has been created to block Cyrus from your computer.

This software is an extension of Google Chrome called No Cyrus, and it was created to censor out everything about the pop singer. So for those who are sick of seeing the tongue, you will no longer have to see tweets, pictures, statuses, articles (Oh no, my article will go unseen) or any other mention of the star. Her name will now be hashtagged out of sight.

Cyrus’ VMA performance made me feel as awkward and optically violated as any other person, but creating a device that blocks any mention of Cyrus on the Internet seems a little extreme. We have information about murders, rapes and porn getting less parental blockage than Cyrus’ degrading of the foam finger.

If a company feels like they have enough consumers who would download software that censors the mention of a particular star, we have a serious problem. That star obviously is being focused on way too much. I have never found myself in a situation where I have been so bombarded with any form of social media that I felt the need to expel it from my life completely. It is disappointing that it seems like it has become necessary for people to have to censor out the stupid of the world.

In addition, if you are on the Internet so often that the sight of one more picture of Miley Cyrus twerking, thrusting, sticking her tongue out farther than the demon from The Exorcist or hopping on top of a swinging demolition object wearing nothing but the embarrassment of the children who formally idolized her is enough to send you into a frenzy-like rage, you might be on the internet too much — and also, this software may be perfect for you.

Opinion columnist Kelly Schafler is a journalism junior and may be reached at [email protected]

• Thank you! I am so sick of seeing her with her tongue sticking out. Now with this software I don’t have to look at her pathetic display for attention.
    It’s sad that for all her years working as an entertainer, the best way she can think of displaying herself is to take off her clothes and stick out her tongue.. I refuse to buy anything she represents, and now thank God I no longer have to see or read about her.