State

As elections approach, Texas works to get more voters

National Voter Registration Day works to get more Americans registered to vote in not just national elections, but in their local voting opportunities as well. | File photo/The Daily Cougar

Though the tumultuous roller coaster ride of presidential elections is finished until 2016, Nov. 5 marks the beginning of local and state elections. Tuesday was recognized as National Voter Registration Day, and Texas is working to find ways to recruit more voters.

In addition to the mayoral elections in El Paso, Arlington, Fort Worth and Houston, Texas will also cast votes on changes to its constitution and will hold a special election in House District 50 in Travis County.

Houston’s mayoral election will pit incumbent Annise Parker against former city attorney Ben Hall, Green Party organizer Don Cook, Republican Eric Dick and Victoria Lane.

“I’m not keeping track of candidates … but I always vote, always. (It’s important that) I have a say in who leads me. I think that there’s always enough info; it’s a matter of people taking the time to look it up,” said biotechnology senior Walter Black.

Texas has long suffered from a low voter turnout. According to ABC13, 13 percent of registered voters went to local polls in 2011, and Texas has been often ranked among the worst states in the nation for voter turnout. Those numbers are not improving.

“I know how to vote in presidential elections, but (not in mayoral elections),” said creative writing senior Rachel Tawse.

National Voter Registration Day is intended to change that.

In a press conference Tuesday, Texas Secretary of State John Steen and Public Safety Commission Chair Cynthia Leon announced a partnership between their offices to disperse numerous mobile registration stations across the state.

Adults without one of the six possible forms of photo identification can attain an Election Identification Certificate through any of the 25 mobile stations, one of which will be located at the Holman Baptist Church near campus.

“To see (the state) have the foresight to put together a program to go into a community to get them the documents they need is a sign that they are serious about getting people to vote,” said Mike Sullivan, the Harris County voter registrar. “I applaud the DPS and I applaud the secretary of state.”

The final day to register for the Nov. 5 election is Oct. 7.

Additional reporting by Mary Dahdouh.

Additional reporting by Mary Dahdouh.