Activities & Organizations News

Q&A: Pre-Law Day

Pre-Law Day, hosted by Phi Alpha Delta co-ed law fraternity, will take place from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday in the University Center Houston Room. Students interested in pursuing law as a career can learn about the LSAT, financial aid and the admissions process of law school. Crystal Oparaeke, senior biology major and Director of Communications for the fraternity, spoke with The Daily Cougar about law school and the upcoming Pre-Law Day.
The Daily Cougar: How does a student know if law school is right for them?
Crystal Oparaeke: (Phi) Alpha Delta pre-law fraternity is designed to answer that question. We hold weekly meetings from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. in the University Center Bayou City Room to provide students with critical information about law school. We hold meetings pertaining to the LSAT, paying for law school, attorney meet and greets and law school student experience. These meetings give students a chance to see if law school is right for them.
TDC: What is law school really like?
CO: Law school consists of a lot of reading and research. From 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Oct. 24 in the UC Bayou City Room, we will be holding a 1L Experience meeting. We will have a Kaplan representative run the meeting as if it is a law school class. This will give students an idea of what to expect in law school.
TDC: How difficult is the LSAT?
CO: Preparing for the LSAT takes time and dedication. Many members have opted to take test preparation courses instead of preparing on their own. We have LSAT prep companies every semester to show members strategies for preparing for the LSAT. Prep companies also offer our members a great discount. At the end of the year, we give away two free LSAT prep courses to members. That is around a $1,500 savings that can be extremely helpful in getting into the best possible law school.
TDC: What are all the admissions factors for universities?
CO: Law school admission is based on undergraduate GPA, LSAT score, personal statement, resume and letters of recommendation. Students can ask law school representatives from law schools across the nation how they factor in each component at Pre-Law Day from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday in the UC Houston Room.
TDC: Can you have a job while in law school?
CO: Every law school has different rules on working while in law school.
TDC: What kinds of jobs can a lawyer get after graduation?
CO: Just because you’re a lawyer doesn’t mean you have to work in a courtroom. There are numerous fields of law, and within each field, there are many roles you could play, such as attorney or legal counsel. Every semester, PAD holds a lawyer meet-and-greet so that attendees can learn from those in different fields. In the past, we’ve had entertainment lawyers, corporate lawyers, immigration lawyers and judges, just to name a few.
TDC: What are the different ways to finance law school?
CO: Most students have to take loans to finance law school. Law schools offer merit and need-based scholarships, but these opportunities are limited. Anyone planning on going to law school should save as much money as they can before entering.