UH aims to exploit Rutgers with passing attack

featured O'Korn

Freshman quarterback John O’Korn will look to bounce back from a three interception game when he faces a suspect Rutgers secondary. Justin Tijerina | The Daily Cougar

The Cougars (5-1) will travel to New Brunswick, N.J,. and play Rutgers (4-2) for their third American Athletic Conference game of the season.

UH is coming off its first loss against BYU on Saturday in a game that was decided on the final drive. Rutgers had an extra week to prepare for the Cougars because of a bye. The Scarlet Knights’ last loss came on Oct. 10 against then-No. 7 Louisville. But before that, they had won four straight by averaging 36.5 points per game.

“(Rutgers) being rested and having the additional 10 days or so to prepare for us and us coming off this close loss and having to get on an airplane and go to their place is going to be something that we have to make sure our young men understand,” said head coach Tony Levine at Tuesday’s press conference.

The Cougars will face a stout running defense. Rutgers ranks second in the nation in terms of rushing yards by allowing only 84 a game. Freshman quarterback John O’ Korn will look to have good day throwing the ball as Rutgers’ pass defense allows more than 300 yards per game, fourth to last in the nation.

“I like our team chemistry. I like our leadership and I expect that they’ll be ready to play Saturday morning,” Levine said.