Tellez enters for Hall of Fame Monday

Former track and field coach Tom Tellez joins the Southwest Conference Hall of Fame on Monday.

Tellez, who coached gold medal winners Carl Lewis and Leroy Burrell during his tenure at UH, is part of the Southwest Conference Hall of Fame’s first class since 1995. UH’s former conference disbanded in 1996.

Tellez, 80, will join Jay Arnette (Texas), Bob Brock (Texas A&M), Frank Broyles (Arkansas), Rick Bullock (Texas Tech), Trevor Cobb (Rice), Jerry Mallett (Baylor), Gene Phillips (SMU) and Frank Windegger (TCU) at an induction ceremony and luncheon Monday in Dallas.

“It kind of shocked me at first because it’s been a while (since the SWC),” Tellez said. “But it’s really a nice feeling for people to recognize me and I appreciate it very much.”

Young to play immediately

Former UH guard Joseph Young was granted a waiver to play immediately after transferring to Oregon this offseason.

Young, the Cougars’ leading scorer last season, left after his father, Michael Young, was reassigned from the coaching support staff to a community service position. Michael Young filed a lawsuit in Harris County District Court claiming UH asked him to “engage in the illegal act of accepting money without performing a service and to violate NCAA rules.”

The lawsuit was thrown out by a Harris County judge on Oct. 16 because it lacked jurisdiction to rule, according to the Houston Chronicle.

The premise of Young’s waiver was his father’s reassignment on the staff, according to ESPN.com.