Activities & Organizations

Staff Council lets students give back

IMG_9482_Justin_Tijerina_1

Staff Council has made donating easier with boxes placed around campus. | Justin Tijerina/The Daily Cougar

The annual 2013 Sock and Blanket Drive sponsored by the Staff Council reached out to campus Monday to encourage charitable works in the UH community.

Staff Council traveled across campus setting up drop-off locations for students and staff to donate new or “gently used” needed supplies, such as clothing, diapers, coats and baby furniture, for Houstonians in need. Civil engineering junior Walter Garcia said he thought that the drive was an efficient way to streamline charitable giving.

“Instead of wasting manpower on trying to get people to come on a certain date and a certain time, they can just drop it off at their own convenience without involving the money of those organizations that have to be used because they have to set up, reserve a spot (and) get volunteers,” Garcia said.

For Kristin Deville, executive administrative assistant of the Division of Student Affairs and Enrollment Services, the University is an integral part of the Houston community, and donating to the greater good is just one way that Houston can strengthen its communal bonds.

“I think it’s important to help people less fortunate than yourself and to show that you care,” Deville said. “It benefits the University. We help the community.”

The 17 drop-off locations are in some of the most populated parts of campus and include rooms in Philip Guthrie Hoffman Hall, the Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture, Agnes Arnold Hall and the Ezekiel W. Cullen Building. All proceeds go to benefit the Christian charity Star of Hope and the Harris County Protective Services Guardianship Program.

Hank Rush, president and CEO of Star of Hope, said that giving can renew people’s hopes and help them on the path to a new life.

“When people come through our doors homeless and desperate for help, they need a new chance — sometimes a second chance — to build a better life for themselves and their families,” Rush said in his blog “Hope for the Homeless.”

“That’s what we offer. So I am delighted to share my joy with you, and I am immensely grateful for your commitment as donors, volunteers and community partners.”

For Garcia, charity is a way to give back and become integrated in the community.

“It’s part of the college motto. Every college wants their students to be involved in their community — to be involved professionally around the city. It’s a given,” he said.

The drive will run through Nov. 15. A full, detailed list of locations and items needed can be found on the Staff Council website, uh.edu/sc.

• This is an amazing idea, especially since I was about to throw out some old clothes. Now I can donate them to someone else, and I probably have extra things too. Thanks for writing this article!