Cougars survive Bulls, stay unbeaten in conference play

The Cougars endured a fierce comeback from USF to escape with a 35-23 victory Thursday night at Reliant Stadium.

The Cougars led 21-13 going into the second half. UH allows an average of only six points per game, but USF scored 10 and almost took the lead in the final quarter.

Down 28-23, USF’s true-freshman quarterback tossed a perfectly thrown ball to a USF receiver. The ball was caught for a touchdown but was negated by an offensive pass interference. On the ensuing play, the Cougars forced a sack fumble play, gained their first turnover of the evening and took control at midfield.

The Cougars would then drive down the field and take a commanding 35-23 from sophomore running back Kenneth Farrow’s five-yard touchdown in the final minutes.

Freshman quarterback John O’ Korn played another solid game as he went 22-27 for 263 yards and three touchdowns, including one to sophomore receiver Deontay Greenberry, who hauled in four catches for 106 yards.

The Cougar defense didn’t force the abundance of turnovers that they have been accustomed to in their previous games, but they made two that solidified the victory on Halloween night.

• It was closer than I would have liked it to have been, but the main thing is that UH won. I still see the team improving overall; and, it’ll be good timing with the next game determining the conference leader. Beat UCF!!

• I think that pass (involving the offensive pass interference penalty) would have been a completion at the 1-yard line (not a touch down) for USF. We got lucky because it was a debatable call (one replay did show some offensive push off)