Tennis

UH claims three singles titles at Cougar Classic

In only his second year at UH, coach Patrick Sullivan is proud of what his team has accomplished so far. Results from Nov. 1 were a sign of things yet to come, he said.

Last weekend, UH hosted the Cougar Classic at John E. Hoff Tennis Courts. Eleven schools in Division I, including Kansas, Lamar, Iowa State and Maryland, came to the Bayou City to end the fall season.

“We did awesome,” Sullivan said. “The best day that we’ve had since I’ve been a coach here, at least in the fall.”

Senior Celia Fraser had wins that advanced her to the finals on Sunday and claimed the flight seven singles title when her opponent withdrew due to travel restrictions. Fraser didn’t drop a set during the Cougar Classic. The season is bittersweet for Fraser because this is her last at UH, but she was still excited to take part in the Cougar Classic.

“A lot of the girls stepped up, and it’s nice playing at home,” Fraser said. “Everyone fought really hard and was happy to be at home.”

Senior Dionne Sanders says she was thrilled to come to play at UH. She approaches the Cougar Classic as a good way for her to practice.

“It’s good to get matches under your belt for confidence,” Sanders said. “It’s a way to practice being aggressive.”

In just her second season at UH, junior Elena Kordolaimi is playing well. On Sunday she clinched flight two singles title by defeating Arkansas’ Shannon Hudson in straight sets (6-3, 6-3). Kordolaimi knew she wanted to keep playing for Sullivan and followed him from Stephen F. Austin to UH. She knows what she wants to accomplish next season and what she will have to do to make it happen.

“The goal is to make it to the NCAA tournament and have the best season,” said Kordolaimi. “I’m going to try to win every single match.”

Newcomer Maria Andrea Cardenas put together a strong performance by defeating Lamar’s Carolina Maso (6-2, 7-5) for a singles championship. Kordolaimi, Fraser and Cardenas combined to go 8-0 while none of the three dropped a set.

The Cougar Classic is the last event for the 2013 fall season. The team is already looking ahead for next season.