Health

Students hype on high-intensity interval training

A worldwide survey conducted by the American College of Sports Medicine indicated the top 20 fitness trends of 2014. Coming in first place on the list was high-intensity interval training.

According to the American Council on Exercise, HIIT is a cardiorespiratory training technique that alternates brief speed and recovery intervals to increase the overall intensity of a workout. HIIT is used by athletes and everyday exercise enthusiasts to reach performance goals and enhance fitness and well-being.

What makes HIIT different than other types of exercise? What is all the hype about?

• HIIT is an exercise format that typically lasts 30 minutes or less — an ideal amount of time for people who live busy lifestyles.
  • HIIT participants can notice and achieve extraordinary results fairly quickly when performing HIIT several times a week because of its fat-burning and muscle-building capabilities.
  • Each bout of exercise burns a significant amount of calories in a relatively short amount of time.
  • HIIT increases oxygen consumption, even after exercise, and promotes faster metabolism, faster weight loss, improved muscle strength and endurance and reduced abdominal and subcutaneous — beneath the skin — fat.

Pre-pharmacy freshman Lauren Remo and Spanish instructor Emily Bernate explained why they continue to participate in HIIT programs.

“I find interval training much more interesting than other means of cardio,” Remo said. “I usually do aerobic training and use weights to build muscle.”

HIIT incorporates intervals performed at a submaximal level — about 80 to 95 percent of a person’s maximum aerobic capacity.

“I previously took body sculpting classes at the (Campus Recreation and Wellness Center) and was looking for something similar,” Bernate said. “I enjoy working a variety of muscles in a short amount of time. Additionally, I like that HIIT includes an aerobic component, since each exercise only lasts 30 seconds.”

Nutrition junior Sara Barchie and UScholars freshman Luke Belgeri also attended an HIIT class at the Recreation Center.

“I chose to try it because it seems like a really great and intense way to get fit and stay in shape,” Barchie said. “It seems to focus on working out the whole body very quickly and efficiently. I really enjoyed it.”

An HIIT session can also be completed with the guidance of a personal trainer, also available at the Recreation Center.

“I chose to take the class to get back in shape,” Belgeri said. “HIIT is much more intense than any other kind of exercise. It was really awesome.”

The Tabata and Core class format — a form of HIIT — is offered at noon Wednesdays at the Recreation Center.