Campus

Ribbon cutting ceremony formally opens UC North

Administrators, student leaders and others have been planning for the University Center North for six years, and the construction has taken place for the past 18 months.

According to President and Chancellor Renu Khator, 77 percent of UH students ruled in favor of the New UC. During her Wednesday speech at the official ribbon-cutting for the building, Khator read out a number of tweets sent to her by UH students, all of whom had positive responses toward the New UC.

Khator said the New UC  blew her away, and she shared the importance of the UC and of other buildings around campus.

“We build these spaces for a purpose, and that purpose is student success,” she said. “If you have good student values, you have good student bonding, you have good student retention and you have good student graduation. The UC is part of our bigger path, and that is making sure that every student has an opportunity to complete their college (degree).”

Khator, Student Government Association President Cedric Bandoh and Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs Keith Kowalka took the time to say a few positive words about the New UC, and about the overwhelming positive response to the project.

“The New UC is a great addition to campus with its social environment,” said accounting sophomore Christina Nguyen. “It’s the spot to be on UH.”

SGA Director of Public Relations Nancy Gutierrez agreed.

“I think it’s a great place for students to come and network,” Gutierrez said. “It’s nice to have all the organizations close by as well, because it helps us to work together easier.”

The celebrations came to a close with the official ribbon being cut by Khator and Bandoh. This event was one of the first in a series of events that will celebrate the opening of Phase 1 of the New UC. Other projects to beautify campus are ongoing, and Khator said she expects the wait to be worth it.

“The students are the heart and soul of the University. This building is their vision and dream,” Khator said. “This is a part of our student life agenda. I think student life leads to better student retention and graduation.”

Additional reporting by Christopher Shelton.