Video Games

Improvements in game room bring more playtime

The UC games will be receiving another update in Summer 2014.

The UC games will be receiving another update in Summer 2014. File Photo/The Daily Cougar

The New University Center is offering students more reasons to gather together and get involved, and since the opening earlier this month, it hosts one of the hottest spots on campus — the UC Games Room.

The growing popularity is because of the arcade’s lively atmosphere, affordable play and good company. Located underground next to the Starbucks, the UC Games Room was renovated and expanded to better accommodate students.

“The UC Games Room is packed with exciting enhancements, including new billiards, table tennis tables and new furniture,” said Assistant Vice President for Student Affairs Keith T. Kowalka. “The future holds four more ‘Cougar Red’ bowling lanes coming in Summer 2014 thanks to the extra space available behind the red wall that was once used as the bookstore’s storage.”

On Thursday evening, the UC Games Room will host an open house with free play and glow-in-the-dark bowling from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m.

“The Games Room has so many fun activities,” said kinesiology senior Ariel Burley. “It’s hard to get myself to class sometimes.”

The hours of operation are Monday to Wednesday from 9 a.m. to 11:45 p.m., Thursday from 9 a.m. to 12:45 a.m. and Friday from 9 a.m. to 1:45 a.m.

Weekend hours are from 10 a.m. to 1:45 a.m. on Saturday and 1 to 11:45 p.m. on Sunday.

“After a long day of studying and sitting through lecture after lecture, the Games Room provides a place for students to blow off steam,” said kinesiology junior Brittany Castilleja.

For more information, visit the UC Games Room website.