Winter storm comes to an end in Houston areas

Icicles clung to buildings, statues and banners across campus on Tuesday.  | Justin Tijerina/The Daily Cougar

Ice clung to buildings, statues and banners across campus on Tuesday. | Justin Tijerina/The Daily Cougar

Frigid weather forced Houston to take cautionary measures Monday and Tuesday. Certain school districts and universities even shut down certain functions Friday and Tuesday, but now both worries and ice alike will melt away during the next week with the incoming rising temperatures.

According to the National Weather Service, this weekend will kick off with mostly sunny to partly cloudy skies Thursday with a high of 60 degrees and low of 55 degrees.

Friday and Saturday allow for more comfortable dress, since temperatures will range from highs in the 70s to lows of 63 and 48, respectively. Umbrellas are urged before a commute or leisurely stroll, as precipitation chances are 20 percent Friday and 30 percent Saturday.

On Sunday, Weather.com predicts another cold front for Houston, but more temperate climates will result, with a high of 57 degrees and a low of 45 degrees. Similar to previous days, a 20 percent chance of precipitation is predicted.

Monday will show a continuation of Sunday’s cloudy, cool yet temperate feel. However, a low of 57, complemented with a slightly greater high of 62, will result in a slightly more pleasant day.

Tuesday’s high climbs up to a 68, but a 40 percent chance of rain, predicted thunderstorms and a slight wind speed boost to 14 miles per hour explain the chilly drop to a low of 38.

Wednesday, the sun will begin finally peeking out of the gray skies from around noon, although a low of 36 and a high of 56 will demand for warmer dress.

Thursday’s clouds will blanket the sun yet again, dropping the high to 53. The low will climb to 41 degrees, however.

To view more information about the weekly or monthly forecast, visit weather.com.