Crime

UHPD warns of potential vehicular fraud

UHPD sent an email warning to students on Jan. 30 to alert them of potential fraud suspects.

Several students have reported to UHPD that they were approached by a man who tells them that he observed a problem with the tire or wheel of their car and that he can fix it for free. The man would then appear to make a repair and charge students.

According to the email, the first suspect, the main actor, was described as a “White or Hispanic Male, black hair, approximately 5’8″, weighing about 185 pounds, with black sweatpants with yellow stripes on the side along the pant legs. 30-40 years old.”

The second suspect, the driver, was a “White or Hispanic Male, with shoulder-length black hair, a long face, weighing about 150 pounds. 30-40 years old.”

The third suspect, the rear passenger, was a “White or Hispanic female, medium build, thin, brown hair (tangled), had sores on her body, long gash/scar on her left leg with approximately 20 staples, also had missing teeth. 30-40 years old.”

The email also said that “this same group may by operating the same fraud across the city and as far away as Galveston. The suspect presents himself as a representative of Firestone and may have official-looking paperwork or business cards.”

While the suspects were not reported to use violence or threats, students, faculty and staff are urged to gather what details they can of the suspects before leaving the scene and contacting UHPD at 713-743-3333.