Track & Field

Distance runners propel UH to finish sixth at A&M Invitational

Freshman Brian Barraza broke the school record in the men’s 3000-meter dash at the Texas A&M Aggie Invitational Saturday run with a winning time of 8:16.84 to help UH finish sixth overall. The previous record of 8:19.60 was set last season at the Conference USA Championship by Yonas Tesfai.

Senior Ngozi Onwumere finished third in the women’s 200-meter dash with an indoor personal best time of 23.77. Senior Brittany Wallace also recorded a personal best time of 23.99 in the 200-meter for sixth place overall.

Middle distance runners Anthony Coleman and Chris Ibarra recorded the top two times of the season in the men’s 800-meter. Coleman finished third at 1:52.82, followed closely by high school All-American Ibarra in fifth at 1:54.12. On the women’s side, Alexis Vick ran a team season best of 2:18.84 in the 800-meter.

Tesfai finished second in the men’s mile with the fastest time this season by a Cougar: 4:08.72. Trevor Walker, Zach Stewart and Matthew Parmley all finished with personal best times.

The Cougars continued to improve as 18 other members of the Houston track and field teams recorded personal best marks in their respective events.

In the field events, freshman Cameron Burrell recorded the second-best jump of the season by a Cougar with a leap of 7.28 meters (23’-10.75”) to claim fourth. Junior Alicia Perkins was the women’s top finisher with a team season second-best leap of 5.69 meters (18’-8”).

Freshman Cameron Cornelius also recorded the second-highest mark of the season in the men’s shot put with a throw of 16.67 meters (54’-8.25”).

Triple jumper Brittany Kinney leaped a personal best 12.23 meters (40’-1.50”) to finish second in the competition.