UH announces American Athletic Conference opponents

The American Athletic Conference announced 2014 conference opponents for its member institutions Wednesday. UH will host 2013 Fiesta Bowl champion Central Florida, Tulsa, Tulane and Temple in the new stadium’s inaugural season.

The Cougars will travel to Cincinnati, Memphis, SMU and South Florida for its American games this fall. Dates for conference games will be announced at a later date.

The 2014 season marks UH’s second in the American after finishing its inaugural season 8-5 with a 5-3 conference record. UH returns 94 percent of its rushing and passing yards and 81 percent of its receiving yards. Defensively, 87 percent of the team’s tackles, including 99 percent of its tackles for loss and 100 percent of its sacks, will return in 2014.

UH welcomes UCF to its home for the third time in program history. The teams have also met twice in Orlando, including the Knights’ 19-14 win last season.

UH claimed the first ever American Athletic Conference win, 22-13, at Philadelphia in the second week of the 2013 season. The Cougars have a 3-0 series record vs. the Owls.

Tulsa and Tulane both return to Houston for the second time since 2012 as the two schools join the American along with East Carolina.

UH faces both Cincinnati and SMU on the road for the first time since 2001 after hosting both schools in 2013. The Cougars fell 24-17 to Cincinnati in 2013 but have a 13-9 series lead with the Bearcats. Houston defeated the Bulls 35-23 last season for its first win in three attempts in the series and now looks to claim its first win in Tampa.

The Cougars return to Memphis for the first time since 2009 to face the Tigers, whom they defeated 25-15 at home last season. The Cougars have a 13-9 series lead, including a record of 7-5 in Memphis.