Wallace posts strong performance

School records continue to fall as the UH track and field team competed at the annual Tyson Invitational on Friday in Fayetteville, Ark.

Senior Brittany Wallace placed in the top 10 of the women’s 400-meter dash, becoming the fourth Cougar this season to break a school record. She recorded a personal best time of 53.25, the top of the American Athletic Conference and 11th in the nation.

Wallace has made a great comeback after suffering a injury midway through the season.

“I’m extremely proud of Brittany Wallace. I don’t think I have had any athletes who endured as much difficulty as she has,” said head coach Leroy Burrell. “To watch her deliver a performance and break a school record like she did today is very special. We have had two Olympians who contested the 400 meters here, and to come away as the school record holder is a great accomplishment. What I am most excited about is that she has more, and I think she will do it again.”

UH posts strong effort; fall to SMU on road

The Cougars received a team-high 15 points from sophomore forward Marche’ Amerson, but it wasn’t quite enough, as SMU outlasted UH 67-50 Saturday afternoon at Moody Coliseum.

Amerson’s 15-point performance was her team-leading 12th double-digit scoring game of the season, while it was also the most points she’s scored since pouring in a career-high 21 points on Dec. 4 vs. Washington.

Senior forward Te’onna Campbell nearly had herself a double-double, as she grabbed a team-high eight rebounds and poured in 11 points of her own for her 11th double-figure scoring game of the year.

Junior guard Demetria Foreman flirted with a triple-double, as she went for six points, grabbed a career-high seven rebounds and dished out a career-best equaling eight assists on the afternoon, while sophomore guard Alecia Smith chipped in with nine points.

Senior guard Keena Mays led the way for SMU (15-10, 6-8 American), as she poured in a career-high-tying 34 points and grabbed eight rebounds in the win.

SMU senior forward Akil Simpson recorded a double-double, as she went for 14 points and pulled down a game-high 13 rebounds for the Mustangs.

Soccer inks nine Texas players

UH Soccer and head coach Chris Pfau has announced its newest class, highlighted by nine incoming freshmen, six of whom hail from Texas.

Set to begin his third season at the helm of the program, Pfau — along with associate head coach Suzie Grech and assistant coach Mike Stoerkel — has put together a class that features several top players from across the nation:

Vanessa Almaguer

Selena Peters

Marina Manzo

Kristina Schulz

Kelsey Thein

Georgi Dolence

Margo McEntire

Kaitlin Sterner

Giovanna Mansick