Golf

Ferguson cracks top 10 for first time

Junior golfer Courtney Ferguson earned a top-10 finish for the first time in her career. | Courtesy of UH Athletics

Junior golfer Courtney Ferguson earned a top-10 finish for the first time in her career.  |  Courtesy of UH Athletics

UH junior Courtney Ferguson continued her steady play with a final-round 73 Tuesday afternoon, tying for 10th at the Central District Invitational at Lakewood Ranch Golf and Country Club.

Ferguson made her spring debut and posted two birdies with three bogeys in the final round on the way to a career-best finish. She birdied two of her final four holes to top her previous best of 13th at the Hurricane Invitational on Feb. 4 and 5, 2013, when she was at Oklahoma State.

“I think we did well. We worked hard over Christmas break and got better at a few things,” Ferguson said.

“We’ve grown mentally; we’ve worked on our short game and wedges a bunch. Just being in an environment where it’s hard working really helps us out.”

Ferguson recorded a career 18-hole low with her second-round 69 on the 6,325-yard, par-72 course Monday.

Sophomore Raegan Bremer fired the Cougars’ lowest round of the day with a final-round 72. The Anaheim, Calif., native posted three birdies and three bogeys Tuesday and closed out her tournament with a birdie on the par-4 10th hole and four straight pars.

With only two individuals competing, the Cougars were not eligible for the team title. Vanderbilt posted the lowest team score of the day and earned the team title with a score of 844, one stroke ahead of UCF.

“I’ve seen them grow in their daily approach to getting better in every aspect,” said head coach Gerrod Chadwell. “I thought we took that situation, and our preparation was really good and deliberate. I think sometimes the girls got ahead of themselves and not staying in the present and focusing on the process.”

Additonal reporting by Christopher Shelton