Baseball

Cougars search for Silver Glove Series victory

For the Cougars, including sophomore Josh Vidales, the Silver Glove against in-state rival Rice begins Wednesday at Reckling park for a mid-week contest. | Justin Tijerina/The Daily Cougar

For the Cougars, including sophomore Josh Vidales, the Silver Glove against in-state rival Rice begins Wednesday at Reckling Park for a mid-week contest.  |  Justin Tijerina/The Daily Cougar

As far as storylines go, both UH and Rice compete today with their own entries into the spotlight. Outside of the importance of the Silver Glove Series, the Cougars and the Owls will see two of their own step into spots that are, in head coach Todd Whitting’s words, “storybook.”

Redshirt senior first baseman Casey Grayson, who is hitting .556 with a home run, will play against UH’s chief rival for the first time in more than a year after missing the 2013 season because of an injury. Finally healthy and back in the lineup, Grayson feels he can, with a little luck, keep contributing.

“I hope that I can continue to come out and perform every night. It’s been rough the past few years … and it felt good to come out here, especially your first at-bat to hit a home run,” Grayson said.

2-1 so far this season, Rice will meet a rebounded UH (3-0) that came within a handful of games of making the NCAA tournament. As far as the history of the series goes, Rice is far and away the more dominant team, winning the series all but once since 1998.

“It’s a big rivalry here in Houston, but you have to treat it like any other game,” said senior shortstop Frankie Ratcliff. “You just have to battle and grind out a win.”

Whitting, a veteran of the series as a player on a winning team in 1994, said he thinks his pitching staff might be the key to a series win.

“If we pitch like that the rest of the way, we’ll have a lot of success,” Whitting said.

An earlier version of this article said Rice coach Wayne Graham would have a chance to win his 1,000th game at Rice against UH.