Events

Giving back to contributors

IMG_4200-PRINT-Justin-Tijerina

UH hosted its first karaoke night on Monday evening for Philanthropy Awareness Week, which is held each semester to show appreciation to its alumni and donors. | Justin Tijerina/The Daily Cougar

UH is thanking its alumni and friends for this semester’s generous investments during Philanthropy Awareness Week, #UHPhil Week, with a series of events.

Funds from the state of Texas covered 22 percent of the University’s budget last year, and student tuition and fees covered another 42 percent. The remaining 36 percent will be covered by private grants and donations by the end of February, according to UH’s philanthropy website.

Faculty and staff are wearing “UH Gives Back” buttons to show their contributions, and big red bows, or “Gift Bows,” are tied around campus to illustrate other donations.

UH hosted a karaoke night on Monday evening at Lynn Eusan Park and will offer students a second chance to perform or sing along at a second karaoke night from 7 to 9 p.m. on Thursday at Lynn Eusan Park.

The University also encourages students to show gratitude to alumni and donors by signing cards during its Thank-A-Donor event from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. today at the Philip Guthrie Hoffman Hall Breezeway.

Members of Rising Stars are committed graduates who invest in their alma mater with a gift within the first five years of graduation. They are open to network and socialize with students during the Rising Stars Mixer from 7 to 9 p.m. on Wednesday at Melcher Hall.

Teams were created to participate in these events to earn points by taking pictures with Gift Bows, selling silicone bracelets and drawing thank-you banners. Winners have the opportunity to slime a professor at the #UHPhil Week Celebration at 12:30 p.m. on Friday at Lynn Eusan Park.

For more information about UH’s philanthropy week, visit the Giving Back website.

For information about contest details, visit uh.edu/giving/students/phad/contest.