Baseball

UH struggles to score in extra-innings win against TSU

It took a single in extra innings by senior Casey Grayson to propel UH to a 1-0 victory against TSU. | Justin Tijerina/The Daily Cougar

It took a single in extra innings by senior Casey Grayson to propel UH to a 1-0 victory against TSU.  |  Justin Tijerina/The Daily Cougar

On occasion, baseball can seem like a prolonged chess match to those involved. Rooks become pitchers, knights become pinch-hitters and, at some point, the right moves of the right pieces eventually earn someone a win.

The nature of UH’s 10-inning 1-0 victory against Texas Southern  University, while the 16th notch in the team’s win count, left a bitter taste in head coach Todd Whitting’s mouth.

“Nothing worked tonight,” said a frustrated Whitting. “We absolutely came out flat, we had absolutely zero respect for our opponent and we were very lucky to get a win. We did not deserve to win that game.”

With six hits and 10 runners left on base, the singular UH run came after starting pitcher Kirby Peek, a freshman right-hander, and junior right-hander Jared Robinson held Texas Southern to only two hits for the game.

“Our pitching was outstanding,” Whitting said. “Ten shutout innings. Peek was outstanding, and Robinson was unbelievable out of the bullpen. Our hitters have done a tremendous job of screwing up our pitching staff for the entire weekend. We literally have no bullpen going into one of the biggest weekends of the year, but we’ll have to overcome it.”

Peek, who struck out five and walked only one, gave way to Jared Robinson after five innings, allowing the right-handed transfer to get his second win of the season.

“My arm felt good today,” Robinson said. “(Senior catcher Caleb Barker) was great back there tonight — I can throw anything, and I know he’ll stop it. It’s just one pitch at a time. If you go along, you go along; if not, then it’s whatever. You just come out and try and make your best pitch possible.”

Normally a middle reliever, Robinson was called upon to hold TSU at bay for what amounted to longer than his normal outing.

“I didn’t think I’d have to work that long. Normally our hitters kick in about the seventh inning. You just make your best pitch. If they swing, they swing; if they don’t, they don’t. You just try to throw strikes every time,” he said.

Going into a weekend series against the College of Charleston that will start Friday, Robinson was on a more upbeat note about the state of the bullpen.

“We’re deep. Our pitching is strong, and I don’t doubt anyone’s ability to come out and throw strikes and help us get a W,” Robinson said.