Softball

UH completes weekend sweep, undefeated in conference play

UH softball swept this weekend’s conference series opener against Louisville with an 8-5 win on Sunday.

UH (19-10) had a walk-off 6-5 win before posting a 4-0 shutout during a double header on Saturday.

Outon helps from mound, with bat

Outon hit two home runs and pitched for the win to help the Cougars.

Outon’s home runs were the first and last runs scored in the game for the Cougars asthe program started conference play 6-0 for the third time in history.

“We really challenged the team in batting practice today,” head coach Kyla Holas said. “We always preach about how champions win on Sundays, and this was a step in the right direction for us. Sundays have been a little shaky for us, and today we won in a different way … that’s what I like to see.”

Rains shows up in clutch

Freshman Jordan Rains delivered the first game-winning RBI of her career. She took a hit by a pitch to freshman teammate Hayley Chamberlain in the seventh inning. Chamberlain entered the game as a pinch runner for Jaime Edwards, who reached safely on a fielder’s choice. A single by Kayla Holland and a catcher’s interference to Diedre Outon set the stage for Rains, who hit her second career RBI in as many games.

Shrum shuts Louisville down

Sophomore Julana Shrum threw a three-hit shutout against Louisville during the second game of Saturday’s double-header, and Houston won its fifth-straight conference game to open up the season.

All four of the Cougars’ runs came in the third inning. They posted their third conference shutout of the season.