Celebrating life-long friendships with siblings

Thursday arrives with an unfamiliar holiday to many: National Siblings Day. Each year on April 10, families take the time to appreciate the influence and life-long friendships found between brothers and sisters.

The holiday was created by Claudia Evart to honor the memory of her brother and sister, whom she lost in separate accidents early in life.

AmyLaSisters

Students, including pre-dental senior Amy La, celebrate having the company and life-long companionship of siblings, on National Sibling Day on April 10.  |  Courtesy of Amy La

Evart, a freelance paralegal from Manhattan, thought of the day as a way for siblings to honor, recognize and celebrate each other. April 10 was chosen as National Siblings Day because it was the birthday of Evart’s late sister, Lisette.

National Siblings Day follows the spirit of Mother’s Day, Father’s Day and Grandparents’ Day as an uplifting celebration to honor family values.

Unlike Mother’s Day and Father’s Day, it is not federally recognized. Since 1998, 77 governors of 45 states have signed gubernatorial proclamations in favor of the establishment of this day.

Although not as widely celebrated as Mother’s or Father’s Day, students are beginning to acknowledge the holiday’s existence and are making an effort to take part in it.

The youngest of three girls, English literature senior Christina Nguyen said she thinks siblings play a huge part in one’s life.

“I think National Siblings Day ought to be ranked along with Mother’s and Father’s Day,” Nguyen said.

“I read in Time magazine that your siblings will affect your life more than anyone else in the world. Personally, that couldn’t be more true for me. My two sisters are included in every aspect of my life.”

Nguyen and her sisters are close, but her individuality is kept.

“We often joke that whoever we date is dating all three of us. Both my sisters have my boyfriend listed in their favorites on their phones. If they can’t reach me, they’ll call him,” Nguyen said. “Those who know us well know that we are very different. Our tastes over time, whether fashion or music, will rub off on each other. We’re more well-rounded because of it. We definitely differ in our tastes for guys, though.”

Political science junior Clarita Montant, the eldest of three siblings, said her competitive relationship with her brothers is often a positive thing.

“I’d say that we’ve always been competitive, but it was always to lift each other up,” Montant said. “We would brag about our grades, but if the other one would get the best grade, we would be happy for him.”

Montant, whose family is originally from France, has only one brother residing with her in Houston and said they often showed support.

“They would show support by coming to my tennis games, and I’d go to their handball games, a European sport,” she said.

Media productions senior Uriel Rios said he feels he always celebrates the holiday.

“I didn’t know about it, but I feel I celebrate it every day,” Rios said. “I have an eight-year-old sister who gets on my nerves sometimes. Sometimes we playfully wrestle. I’ll let her win. I’ll even bring her a candy bar every once in a while.”

Pre-dental senior Amy La said growing up in a big family helped shape her into the person she is today.

“All six of us are so different, but at the same time, I share similarities with every single one of my siblings.” La said. “Being in such a large … family definitely contributed to the person I am now. All the fights made us tougher, learning from each other’s mistakes made us wiser and being the baby, of course, made me the favorite — only slightly kidding about that part. But I seriously love my siblings and wouldn’t trade most of them for anything.”