Track & Field

Cougars break records at Rice Twilight Meet

In the final preparation for the inaugural American Athletic Conference championships, UH runners broke track and field school records at Rice University’s J. Fred Duckett Twilight Meet Saturday evening.

Senior Karley King cleared a personal best height of 4.21 meters (13’-9.75”) and broke a 14-year-old record set by Rhian Clarke in 2000, when she cleared 4.15 meters (13’-7.25”) at the Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays.

“It was the most amazing feeling ever. There really is no other feeling better than getting a (personal record), and knowing it was a school record made it that much sweeter,” King said. “I haven’t had the best outdoor season. To come out on top of a huge field tonight boosted my confidence. I’m ready to take on (the) conference.”

King jumps to the top of the conference performance list by 2.5 feet and is now seventh in the region and 15th in the nation. King’s mark is also tied for 37th in the world.

“I was just trying to stay relaxed today and have fun,” King said. “We had been studying film from when I was jumping really well during the indoor season — a few minor adjustments can make a huge difference.”

Junior Yonas Tesfai joins King as he broke the 16-year-old 800-meter school record with a time of 1:48.40. Karim Alston set the previous record of 1:48.81 at the 1998 Conference USA Championships in Tampa, Fla.

sports@thedailycougar