Events Life + Arts

Blaffer to host gala honoring former UH chairman

The Blaffer Art Museum’s Ready.Steady.Go!: A Nod to Mod Gala will be 7 p.m. on May 16 as co-chairs Cullen Geiselman, Ryan Gordon and Leslie and Mark Hull honor former UH Board of Regents Chairman Welcome Wilson, Sr. and his high school sweetheart and wife of 65 years, Joanne Guest Wilson.

“The annual gala is the single largest event dedicated to raising funds to further the museum’s mission,” said Director of External Relations Matt Johns. “It is also an opportunity to invite some of our most dedicated and energetic supporters and ambassadors to celebrate the success we have had and the bright future ahead.”

The gala’s mod theme embraces the movements that brought us Twiggy, British pop and the mini-skirt. The gala will begin with cocktails in the lobby and lounge of the AIA award-winning renovated Blaffer Art Museum, followed by a formal dinner prepared by City Kitchen. A silent auction of Blaffer works will seal the night.

“All of the artists are past and future exhibiting artists at the museum,” Johns said. “They include Mary Ellen Carroll, Anton Ginzburg, Francesca DiMattio and many more.”

Johns says the museum has already surpassed its fundraising goal with ticket sales, and he hopes everyone that attends is inspired.

“We are referencing the imagery of infamous taste-makers from the era to create a mod wonderland that is colorful, over the top, and unlike anything guests have seen,” Johns said.

The gala’s guest of honor, Welcome Wilson, Sr., has dedicated his life to Houston academia, politics and real estate. Wilson was influential in helping UH attain Carnegie-designated Tier One status.

“I’ve always believed that entrepreneurship involves three steps,” Wilson said in a 2011 interview. “See a need, fill that need, and you are rewarded.”

Individual tickets for the gala start at $350, with group seating ranging from $5,000 to $25,000.