Fine Arts

Blaffer hosts ‘most successful gala’ ever with Ready.Steady.Go!

Attendees admire some of the artwork on display at Blaffers' Ready. Steady. Go! Gala. By Conny Ramirez

Attendees admire some of the artwork on display at Blaffers’ Ready. Steady. Go! Gala. | Conny Ramirez/The Daily Cougar

The Blaffer Art Museum celebrated its second season in the newly renovated Blaffer building at the Ready.Steady.Go! Gala Friday and well exceeded its fundraising goal of $200,000 with the help of the Houston community.

“I think it’s fair to say that this is the most successful gala that Blaffer Art Museum has ever hosted,” museum Director and Chief Curator Claudia Schmuckli said.

This year’s theme “Nod to Mod” embraced the style of 1960’s pop icon Twiggy with bright colors, bold geometric shapes and plenty of patent go-go boots. Guests were greeted by a ceiling full of vibrantly colored umbrellas and over the top table pieces that embodied the mod culture. Past and present Blaffer artists donated pieces for the silent auction, which will help contribute to the museum’s efforts to promote art within the Houston community and on the UH campus.

“We are trying to raise awareness for the museum after the renovation,” gala co-chair Leslie Hull said.

“Having this museum is just so important to the life of the University.”

Co-chair Ryan Gordon said the night’s honorees, Welcome Wilson Sr. and his wife Joanne Guest Wilson, were influential in shaping the path of the Blaffer Art Museum.

“They’ve been wonderful supporters of the museum,” Gordon said. “It’s just our small way of thanking them for all their support.”

Wilson has been instrumental not only in efforts related to Blaffer but also to the whole University by helping it obtain Carnegie-designated Tier One status.

“I am so honored that my wife and I are the honorees at this important event,” Wilson said.

“The Blaffer Museum has been a great asset to the University of Houston. They have exhibits that are cutting edge in the art community and they’ve been doing that for years and years and years.”

President Khator attended the gala and thanked Wilson, the co-chairs, current members of the board as well as the Houston community for all of their hard work and dedication to the arts.

“The Blaffer gallery is absolutely an incredible asset for the University of Houston. Our Tier One journey, our Tier One recognition cannot be possible without a very strong arts program so thank you all very much for your support,” Khator said.