Academics & Research News

UH recommended for Phi Beta Kappa Chapter

UH is one step closer to receiving a chapter of the prestigious society Phi Beta Kappa, after receiving an update on its application.

According to an official statement from William Monroe and Andrew Davis, co-chairs of the University of Houston Phi Beta Kappa Organizing Committee, the Committee on Qualifications at Phi Beta Kappa have recommended the University of Houston’s application to the Phi Beta Kappa Senate.

The Senate will vote on whether to accept the recommendation at the end of the year, and from there the Phi Beta Kappa General Assembly will vote in October 2015.

“We’re very happy to say that this is the furthest along in the application process that the University of Houston has ever come; we’ve never received a positive recommendation from the Committee on Qualifications,” Davis said in the statement.

Monroe and Davis are a part of the ongoing effort to bring a chapter of the society that has lasted for the past 30 years. Davis credits the work of current University President and Chancellor Renu Khator and the University’s recent Tier One classification in putting UH on the society’s radar.

“We couldn’t be happier that the CQ has chosen to endorse the University of Houston as an institution where — as we in Houston already know — the values of a liberal education in the arts and sciences are indeed alive and well.”

If accepted, UH will be one of 283 universities across the United States to hold a chapter.