Football Uncategorized

The five things we learned about UH after Grambling State

In just 38 seconds, the Cougars scored the only points they would need to defeat the Tigers.

The team bounced back from a disappointing season start to the season to control an opponent it should have the upper hand against.

Here are five things we learned from UH’s 47-0 victory against Grambling State.

Sophomore quarterback/reciever Greg Ward rushed for the game's first touchdown. Ward continued to see frequent action throughout the game.  |  Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

With the Cougars looking to keep up their running game, sophomore quarterback/receiver Greg Ward will see many more snaps this season.  |  Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

1. Sophomore Greg Ward will continue to see snaps at quarterback.

UH moved Ward to receiver this offseason to get one of its best athletes on the field every play.

Now, he’s spending more time in the backfield again. Two plays into the game, Ward started under center before streaking into the end zone from 12 yards out on a quarterback keeper.

After the game, head coach Tony Levine said Ward in the backfield should be a reoccurring theme.

2. The defense has become UH’s best unit.

Levine said the Cougars have created an identity on defense in his post game press conference. With the moniker “Third Ward Defense,” the squad embraced the gritty, working-class mentality of the surrounding communities, and results have followed.

In shutting out Grambling State, UH earned its second shutout in four games. At UH, where the offense has driven the bus for years, the defense has taken its seat at the front.

3. I’m cautiously optimistic about the offensive line.

UH inserted transfer Travis Cross into the starting lineup at left tackle for this game. I know correlation doesn’t necessarily mean causation, but the Cougars pushed the smaller Tigers around.

UH rushed for 275 yards, but the true test of the offensive line will come this week against BYU on the road, as well as a few weeks later against UCF.

4. Sophomore quarterback John O’Korn played better but still displayed accuracy issues.

O’Korn threw for 200 yards, tossed a touchdown pass and spread the ball around to six receivers against Grambling State on Saturday. However, his completion percentage for the season still hovers around 50 percent and he missed some easy throws.

He seemed to struggle to complete intermediate throws.

5. The Cougars’ two-headed monster at running back returned to form.

With just two attempts, junior running back Kenneth Farrow surpassed his career-high 96 rushing yards. He finished the game with 151 yards on 20 attempts and a touchdown. Speedster Ryan Jackson scored two touchdowns.

If the Cougars establish the running game with Farrow and Jackson, it takes pressure off the quarterback.