Academics & Research News

Texas Representative inspires Empower audience to take charge

PRINT-WomeninPolitics-Kevin-Portillo-IMG_3638

Candidate for the Texas House of Representatives’ 26th district Amber Paaso spoke about women in politics at the Empower event on Monday. | Kevin Portillo/The Cougar

Addressing a rapt crowd of predominately young women Monday evening at Stephen Power Farish Hall, candidate for the Texas House of Representatives’ 26th district Amber Paaso spoke about women in politics and her own quest to diversify Texas’ state legislature with her campaign.

The event was hosted by the female professional society Empower, which aims to address social stigmas concerning gender roles.

“We invite female leaders from the Houston community to be guest speakers and motivate our members, both male and female, to work past gender restraints and pursue their own goals,” said biology senior and Empower President Sara Elchehabi.

At the start of the event, the audience was shown the 13-minute video of British actress Emma Watson giving her now viral speech at the UN about feminism. Paaso then stepped to the podium to talk about her experience as a woman activist, and about her current campaign on being Fort Bend’s latest state representative. She touched on such issues as female stereotypes, pay equity for the genders, Republican-led cuts on education, the expansion of Medicaid and the closing of women’s clinics all across Texas.

“Driving 300 miles to the nearest clinic is difficult, especially when you have a job,” Paaso said as she discussed the mass closure of women clinics due to the abortion law passed last year by the Republican-led state legislature.

Throughout the hour-half, the crowd was transfixed by Paaso’s passion for women’s rights.

“She inspired me to take charge, because there are issues that you have to begin talking about,” said accounting sophomore Laleen Bajwa.

With the elections rapidly approaching in November, Paaso faces off with conservative Republican incumbent Rick Miller. When asked by a student in the crowd how she and other women running for higher office plan to succeed in getting elected, Paaso’s response was simple.

“Young people like you.”