Activities & Organizations News

Female leader in STEM to speak at UH

Students, faculty and staff will have the chance to listen to a Texas science, technology, engineering and math leader speak about her experience working in a field dominated by men, recruitment and retention of women and other underrepresented students in STEM fields on Wednesday, Nov. 5.

Cristina Villalobos, a professor and director of the Center of Excellence in STEM Education at the University of Texas-Pan American, has co-written two STEM-related works: “Increasing Student Access, Retention, and Graduation Through an Integrated STEM Pathways Support Initiative for the Rio South Texas Region- Year One Activites and Results” and “Work In Progress: The Bridge to the Doctorate Experience: A Reflection on Best Practices and Project Outcomes.”

Villalobos, along with some of her colleagues, received a $3.7 million grant from the U.S Department of Defense in March of 2011 for UTPA to attract more students STEM studies, according to a Brownsville Herald article published that year.

The eldest of three in a Mexican-American family, Villalobos is also credited with increasing the number of Hispanic students attending doctoral programs in mathematics, according to a spotlight article on greatmindsinstem.org.

Her talk will begin at 4 p.m. in University Classrooms and Business Building Rm. 214. Students, faculty and staff can RSVP to the event through [email protected]. For more information about the Center for ADVANCING UH Faulty Success, visit www.uh.edu/advance.