Week brings success and honors for Cougars

The Cougars finished with strong performances this past week despite a few disappointing outcomes. With talent spread across multiple sports, the Cougars have nothing to worry about when it comes to success.

• Houston volleyball has successfully made its way back above the .500 mark with wins over both Tulane and East Carolina, largely in part of the defensive strength of senior libero Natalie Keck. Keck is now just 19 digs away from 2,000 career digs as she totaled 53 over the two games. Keck looks to break the 2,000 mark in the Cougars’ matchup against the Memphis Tigers on Friday.
  • Junior punter Logan Piper has shown that he can not only perform on the field for UH but also in the classroom — he was named to the Capital One Academic All-District 7 Team per the announcement of the Collegiate Sports Information Directors of America Thursday. Piper has recorded a strong season so far as he averages 39.4 yards per punt and has three kicks over 50 yards.
  • Sophomore Despoina Vogasari traveled to New York this past Thursday to compete in the ITA/USTA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships after being the first Cougar to win at the state level. Vogasari, No. 68 in the nation, blew past her first round opponent, No.15 Zoe Scandalis of USC, with a 6-1, 6-1 victory on Thursday. Vogasari then advanced to the round of 16 to take on No. 43 Maegan Manasse of Cal and, despite a hard-fought battle, fell short 6-4 and 6-4.
  • Houston basketball had a big season opener as they matched up with North Alabama University for a 108-83 exhibition win on Saturday. Junior guard Jherrod Stiggers and sophomore forward Danrad Knowles led the offensive charge with 20 points each and six and four three-pointers, respectively.