Wednesday, December 1, 2021

Crime

Developing story: Arrest made in campus minister murder case

Ahimbisibwe was found dead in his apartment on Monday.  Courtesy of Redeemer Episcopal Church

Ahimbisibwe was found dead in his apartment on Monday. | Courtesy of Redeemer Episcopal Church

Update – Feb. 4, 11:54 a.m.: Ahimbisibwe’s 19-year-old son has been arrested and charged in the murders of his parents and brother.

Isaac Tiharihondi was found in Mississippi and is charged with two counts of capital murder, according to KTRK ABC 13.

Ahimbisibwe is survived by another son who is currently at boarding school in California.

Update – Feb. 3, 10:35 a.m.: Ahimbisibwe served as Reverend for the Episcopal – Canterbury Campus Ministry at UH, according to a University representative. He had been affiliated with the University for around five years.

A service of prayer will be held for the late Reverend and his family on Feb. 3 at 7:15 p.m. in the A.D. Bruce Religion Center chapel.

Original post – Feb. 2, 8:30 p.m.: A UH campus minister, his wife and their son were found dead in their West Houston apartment earlier this morning, according to multiple news reports.

Israel Ahimbisibwe, along with his wife, Dorcus, and their 5-year old son were confirmed dead in a press release from Ahimbisibwe’s church, Redeemer Episcopal Church, and Diocese of Texas officials. HPD has not yet confirmed the identities of the victims. A cause of death for any of the victims has not been released.

“I will say they did suffer some type wounds,” said HPD spokesman Victor Sentias, according to KHOU-11.

HPD could not be reached for comment. The story will be updated as more information is received.

• COVID-19