Cougars ready to get going after National Signing Day

The Cougars offense has struggled to either win or tie in each of their three loses by a total of 12 games. | File photo/The Daily Cougar

National Signing Day brought necessary talent to Houston as both Deontay Greenberry (3) and Daniel Spencer (4) have left the Cougars’ receiving core through entering the draft and graduating, respectively. | File Photo/The Cougar

The Cougars are getting set up for their first season under Tom Herman as National Signing Day has proved beneficial for the Houston hopefuls. Herman has brought in 21 new players to the Houston roster in today’s events, four of which have officially signed as of this morning.

At the top of the 2015 recruiting list sits Chance Allen, a redshirt sophomore from Oregon’s extensive receiver core that pushed the Ducks to through their National Championships run. With the absence of former Houston receivers Daniel Spencer and Deontay Greenberry, with the previous graduating and the latter entering the draft, Allen looks to bring what he has learned from his two years at Oregon to the new Herman offense.

Other signees include Rusty Clark, a third-year tight end from Pearl River Community College who reached a national rank of 17 for junior college tight ends; Adam Schulz, former Utah quarterback who threw for 1,091 career yards and six touchdowns through eight games; and Devin Smith, a receiver out of John Curtis High School in River Ridge, La., that helped lead the Patriots to three straight Louisiana State Championships and a 2012 National Championship.

The remaining 17 recruits have submitted their letters of intent to the university, six of which are coming from the Houston area. 12 signees will help the Cougars on offense with eight locking down the defense and the final recruit, Kameron Eloph, is listed as an athlete.

“We’re thrilled for this class as a whole,” Herman said in a news release. “We have a wide array of players coming in from guys who were already committed and loved the University of Houston, guys who had been recruited to our program and we were able to seal the deal with and guys who had been committed to other schools but saw what Houston had to offer them.”

Houston and its new recruits start up their 2015 spring practice schedule on March 9, followed up by their first spring game on April 18. The team looks forward to getting back on the field and after addressing some major needs, Herman is ready to start his era off strong.