Women's Basketball

Palmer’s return not enough for the Cougars

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_4696

Junior guard Bianca Winslow set out to keep the ball in the Cougars’ possession during Tuesday night’s loss to the East Carolina Pirates as she nabbed three steals in the 79-56 loss. | Justin Tijerina/The Cougar

The Cougars traveled to Greenville, N.C. Tuesday night and failed to take down the East Carolina Pirates for the second time this season, falling 79-56 despite the return of junior guard Jessieka Palmer.

Throughout their struggle season, the Cougars have still managed to put up impressive individual numbers from game to game. Palmer made her first start since Jan. 21 in Tuesday night’s game and lead the Cougars’ scoring with 13 points, closely followed by junior forward Marche’ Amerson.

The closest the Cougars came to a lead over the Pirates was early in the game, with just a six-point differential going into the final minutes of the first quarter. The Pirates quickly went on a 10-0 run, however, to start a double-digit lead that would hold through the remainder of the game.

Amerson helped keep the ball with the Cougars, though, as she totaled a team-high seven rebounds with junior guard Bianca Winslow grabbing three steals.

The Cougars return to Hofheinz on Saturday to take on the Tulsa Hurricane at 2 p.m. and turn around to host the Memphis Tigers next Wednesday.