The Sex Edition

Why we chose not to talk about rape in the Sex Edition

You might be wondering why we aren’t addressing some of the darker topics of sex, namely rape and other forms of sexual assault. We are on a college campus, and those are problems that residents may face.

But sexual assault isn’t sex. It’s not a positive experience shared by two (or more) individuals with full consent — it’s an act of violence. This week’s issue isn’t meant to spotlight violence, though sexual assault is important and should be addressed.

This week’s issue is intended to highlight what can and should be a positive and engaging experience at all times. It’s an experience where you learn more about yourself and others.

So don’t think we’re ignoring the issue; it’s as near to us as it is to our readers and those who wish to see the issue of sexual assault eliminated.

If all you think about when you hear about sex on a college campus is the various ways someone could be sexually assaulted, we’re glad you’re reading this issue.

You should know that the only kind of sex we’re talking about is the “good” kind, and that’s whatever kind of sex you prefer with a willing, enthused partner. Kink, bondage, role-playing, costumes, sex toys and whatever else you prefer can all fall within the bounds of “good” sex.

And the awkward, messy, clumsy sex that so many of us are still learning to navigate is “good” sex in our eyes, because it’s the kind of sex built on consent and mutual pleasure.

This issue is for situations you’re prepared for, situations you anticipate with consent. This issue is for light conversations and deep thinking.

The Sex Edition is for those who want a good look at how we think a sexual experience should be: positive, fulfilling and one that starts with consent.

— The Cougar Editorial Board