Bauer helps mold resumes into right shape

Accounting sophomore Jonathan Castillo was one out of the many Bauer students who took advantage of Resume Roundup, an educational event where current business students can sit down and get their resumes reviewed by recruiters or other professionals involved in the hiring process before the upcoming career fair.

Resume Roundup takes place from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. through Feb. 19 in the AIM Center Lobby in Melcher Hall on a first come, first serve basis.

“It’s a four (out of five),” Castillo said. “It was very enlightening because there were a lot of mistakes I made that I wasn’t even aware of. It was very helpful indeed.”

Resume Roundup runs for three days each spring before the Bauer Career Fair, and generally serves more than 500 students per semester, according to Assistant Director for Career Services Megan Bauml.

Reviewers are volunteers who are interested in giving back to the UH community. Many are alumni and others who work at companies that recruit UH students. All receive training on the Bauer resume format and layout, as well as on other Rockwell Career Center services.

“Bauer students have the opportunity to ask questions and see what hiring managers look for in entry-level resumes without the pressure of being in the recruiting process,” Bauml said. “Resume Round-Up also gives students a chance to practice talking with employers.”

Resume Roundup emphasizes what employers actually look for when they start to hire candidates. Elements like style, grammar, layout and spelling errors are all considered when a resume is being looked at.

“It’s more how to tailor your resume to get your foot in your door to get that first interview,” said Robyn Shelton, an employer from Targa Resources and part of the staff at Resume Round-Up.

• If you want the bottom line of this no-nonsense article memorize the final graph! Oh yes, one other idea. Use prime time weekdays from 7:30am to 11:30am and do what pro recruiter do, make cold, warm, and hot phone calls to “recruit yourself a job opportunity. Don’t send out that resume until you find out what problems you need to solve. “No problems, no job!” sQs Delray Beach FL