Life + Arts Movies

‘Kingsman: The Secret Service’ we’ve been waiting for

The Kingsmen, a secret organization alternative in the heart of London, are essentially the new knights of the round table and have recently lost their Lancelot, leaving Galahad (Colin Firth) to seek out a replacement. He finds Eggsy (Taron Egerton), the son of a man he once fought with, who shows great potential in spite of his street attitude. As the corrupt Valentine (Samuel L. Jackson) attempts to destroy humanity, Galahad, Merlin (Mark Strong), and Eggsy must attempt to defeat him with their training and advanced weaponry.

kingsman_the_secret_service_0_1409318842

“Kingsman: The Secret Service” is a tremendous time at the theater for most everybody. I’m not exaggerating when I say that I’ve not seen an audience respond so well to a screening of a film. This film is how you would imagine James Bond if he took his job less seriously and had more fun using his ridiculous gadgets. With a terrific cast, wonderful stunt direction and a director that knows how to cater to an audience, this is sure to be the first big and most deserving hit of 2015.

Director Matthew Vaughn’s style is recognizable if you were one of the many who flocked to go see Kick-Ass, which includes extravagant violence, styled to elicit laughter and gasps. Throw in the thrill of X-Men: First Class and some of the more intriguing aspects of Layer Cake and you have Kingsman. Vaughn’s continuing adaptation of graphic novels has served him well; this is his most enjoyable film to date. The environment he creates for his actors makes the film all the more enjoyable for the audience.

Colin Firth (King George VI in “The King’s Speech”) maintains a gentlemanly character, until Galahad has to kick the asses of everyone in a bar due to poor manners. Firth has never been more out of his element, but it’s a glorious sight and he completely sells the part. He easily has the best scene in the film, and his dedication to killing in spectacular fashion was another working aspect.

Newcomer Taron Egerton, playing a rough-talking street hooligan, holds his own against some of Britain’s most esteemed actors and manages to bring some youth to the gentleman’s club. Eggsy’s punk attitude might not gel with the others, but he never abandons who he is and what he stands for. Egerton adds a lot of depth to Eggsy’s troubled character and his unique approach to situations makes him the most valuable asset in the film. He’s someone you’ll want to see in another film.

In graphic-novel fashion, the story is ludicrous, leaving more freedom for the characters; allowing Samuel L. Jackson to have the time of his life with one of the most entertaining villains of late. On top of that, you also get to see an impressive body count composed of headshots, slicing and dicing, explosions and death by spy weaponry. This film is a hard R, but don’t let that dissuade you.

“Kingsman: The Secret Service” is one of the more entertaining times that I’ve had at the movie theaters and reinforces why people go to the movies in the first place. This is first-rate entertainment at its finest, and audiences are going to have a field day with it. Taron Egerton and Colin Firth make a lasting impression, as does Vaughn, who goes all-out with his latest effort. If you’re in the mood for a wild time, look no further than “Kingsman.”