Changes announced for commencement ceremony

The University hopes to make its commencement ceremony a city-wide celebration.  |  File photo/The Cougar

The University hopes to make its commencement ceremony a city-wide celebration. | File photo/The Cougar

As UH seeks to make spring commencement more of a city-wide celebration than it’s ever been, a slew of ceremonial changes is being unveiled.

Students graduating this May will participate in two different ceremonies: a University commencement ceremony for all graduating seniors, and separate convocation ceremonies hosted by individual colleges, with dates and times to be announced soon, said Director of Special Events Tonja Jones. All college commencement ceremonies will be held between May 14 and 16 at different locations on campus.

Students will cross the stage at their college’s ceremony, but not at the University commencement ceremony, where Academy Award-winning actor Matthew McConaughey will deliver this year’s commencement address.

The University commencement will be treated as more of a city-wide “festive” celebration, a change tied to UH’s efforts to become more ingrained in the Houston community. The ceremony, which has been described by University representatives as “spectacular,” will be held at 7 p.m. May 15 in TDECU Stadium. A student processional will take place at 6 p.m. before the ceremony.

• President promised she would always shake the hands of the students. Of course, I am graduating and that is a lie. She won’t come to each ceremony. Wow everything keeps popping up lies! Major disappointment!

• She shakes everyone’s hand at the convocation ceremonies. They’re all staggered in time and day so she can attend each one.

• Calm down Roger. You’ll get your shake. Your a graduating senior. How about acting like one and refrain from drama queen reactions.

• I have shook her hand a couple times already not that big of a deal. Though I do agree about the misinformation ever heard about the Cougar Promise? It was a supposed scholarship for students of families that make below a certain income bracket that I fall into. I expected it to get me through college yet I will be graduating with a sickly amount of loan debt because apparently the “Cougar Promise” was nothing more than a marketing ploy and it is more of a Cougar Lie. I have the brochure they gave me at my new student orientation in which that is the only mention I can find of it anywhere.

• This is the way it was done back in the 70’s and 80’s. I had my convocation at Cullen Theatre and commencement was at the Pavilion.

• Roger grow up and quit attempting to smear our president who has made your supposed degree as valuable as it ever has been from this University. She cannot be everywhere at once and has not lied one bit. Things change so get over it. If this little detail makes or breaks such a monumental event then I feel sorry for you. Moving on and back to the positive information this article has shared.