Spring Break over the years: How beach parties lost their hype

Three years ago as an eager, naive freshman, I would have donated an essential organ to vie at a chance to do something cool and unforgettable for Spring Break.

College students are known for making it rain hard-earned money for shady hotel rooms, copious amounts of cheap alcohol and $2 multi-colored beads from Dollar Tree. While this experience does still sound strangely and disgustingly appealing, there is something inherently different every Spring Break as the years pass.

Freshman year

Freshmen have formed their Spring Break plans months in advance; they know where they’re going, how long they’re staying and who their partners-in-crime will be well before Christmas break.
They probably find themselves thinking. “Look at all these hip, like-minded college students looking to have a good time.”

Sophomore year

Sophomore students try to one-up their freshman year experience; however, as they pour cheap alcohol into their gas station Styrofoam cup in preparation for the beach, something feels vaguely familiar.

And as the beach party rages on and LMFAO’s “Shots” blares in the background, the situation becomes straight up déjà vu. Sophomores swear they saw that horse mask last year.

Junior year

Like a spouse clinging to the remains of a failing marriage, juniors try to hang onto the thrill of Spring Break a little longer than they should. The experience still has that new car smell to it because juniors are newly 21 years old, so it’s not boring yet, but it is starting to get a little gross.

Communal beer funds are now a reminder of that one friend who claims he got mono from one. Fellow party-goers wearing T-shirts that were once ironically funny are now slightly sexist or demeaning.

Senior year

Responsibilities of the world remind seniors of their impending graduation. The gross appeal of Spring Break hasn’t been completely forgotten, it’s just been replaced by a lackadaisical voice urging seniors to skip the touristy beach towns and swaddle themselves in blankets for an entire week instead.

Opinion editor Kelly Schafler is a print journalism senior and may be reached at [email protected].