Baseball

Cougars’ win comes just in time

In Saturday’s 6-1 win over Tulane, the fourth win in conference for UH and their 23rd on the season, junior pitcher Kyle Dowdy’s career high 10 strikeouts and junior first  baseman Chris Iriart’s 11th home run of the season were the more memorable feats that took the force out of the Green Wave.

“We needed it,” said Iriart of the win. “We’ve had a couple of tough losses, but I think we’re right where we need to be.”

His home run, which put UH ahead far and clear at 4-1 in the bottom of the fourth inning, was something that Iriart credited with being in line with the law of averages.

“After the first couple of at bats, I knew I had to get a hit eventually,” said Iriart. “It was nice that it was a home run. I’m looking for fastballs. If they leave it up, I’ll hit it.”

The other end of the needed spectrum saw Dowdy get his fourth win of the season against one loss. Through 7.1 innings, the junior struck out 10, walked one and allowed only one earned run.

“It felt really good to get back out here again after a touch and go start last week,” said Dowdy. “I was just trying to throw quality pitches and multiple pitches.”

Now .500 and tied for third in conference, the Cougars head back out for the final game of their series against the Green Wave at 1 p.m. on Sunday.

“Winning a conference series right now is huge for us after the last few weekends.  We really needed it,” said Dowdy.