Men's Basketball Sports Women's Basketball

Sweeping rule changes in both men’s and women’s basketball

WEB-Justin-Tijerina-IMG_4696

Changes in both Women’s and Men’s basketball have been attributed to increasing the pace of play in the college game. | File Photo/The Cougar

College basketball will look very different next season with new rulings by the NCAA Rules Committee on Monday.

Following a proposal recommended in early May, women’s college basketball will now be divided into four 10-minute quarters instead of two 20-minute halves next season.

More changes for the women’s game include teams reaching two-shot bonus after five team fouls in each quarter, with fouls resetting each quarter.

Media timeouts will also be changed to just one each quarter, while teams will also only have four timeouts total and can carry over only two of those timeouts into the second half.

Additionally, men’s basketball will now feature a 30-second shot-clock, replacing the 35-second clock, and fewer timeouts for each team.

The restricted area underneath the basket will also be extended from three feet to four feet in the 2015-2016 season.

Men’s basketball experimented with both of these changes during the NIT this past season, and the change was made official following a meeting of the NCAA playing rules oversight panel.

These are just a few of the many changes made during the meeting of the Rules Committee, and they are attributed to increasing the pace of play.