Texas fails to end same-sex marriage

gay marriage - Leah Nash

Leah Nash/The Cougar

This state is notoriously known for saying “everything’s bigger in Texas.” But the cutesy slogan doesn’t highlight what a big threat the Texas government is to personal lives of citizens.

Republicans of Texas have grown fearful of slipping Stepford values, even though these hyper-conservative principles add nothing to society.

While the Supreme Court debates concerning the unconstitutionality of a ban on same-sex marriages rage on, Texas Republicans fell back on their last resort – House Bill 4105 – known as the Preservation of Sovereignty and Marriage Act.

Introduced by Republican Rep. Cecil Bell, the failed bill would have prohibited any state or local government agents from recognizing, granting or enforcing same-sex marriages.

It also would forbid any state funding from being spent on activity that would support the licensing of same-sex marriage.

The desperation of this bill leaves the notion that Texas Republicans are grasping for their pitchforks and torches over an issue that is becoming more progressive than they expected.

But by a little luck, and some crafty Democrats, the bill’s movement ceased… for now.

But even though it halted last month, it is possible the bill will come up again when the legislature reconvenes in 2017.

“From my perspective, no bill is dead as long as there are other bills in front,” said Bell. “You just have to find something that’s germane.”

Bell is in desperate need of a little “Finding Nemo” logic from Dory: “Give it up old man, you can’t fight evolution.”

In this case, it’s the inevitable evolution of marriage, and the new definition will include same-sex couples.

Considering the lack of education funding from Texas governments, and the ever-reoccurring concern of border security, same-sex marriages should not even be considered an issue.

Legislatures waste valuable time concerning themselves with a custom that should be left to the individual.

According to the Human Rights Campaign, “there are over 1,138 benefits in the U.S. that pertain to married couples. States that abolish the recognition of same-sex marriages deny its residents access to some of the most important legal benefits including Social Security and Veterans Benefits.”

Recently, Ireland became the first nation in a popular vote to legalize same-sex marriage.

Aside from some notorious opposition from the Roman Catholic Church, the citizens were overrun with emotion when a new acceptance for same-sex couples became a reality.

“This decision makes every citizen equal, and I believe it will strengthen the institution of marriage,” Prime Minister Enda Kenny said.

Ireland is one of many nations that has strengthened the relationship with their people and stopped denying the universal right to happiness.

The United States should follow suit and live up to its pledge of “liberty and justice for all.”

Opinion columnist Phylicia Sneed is an english senior and may be reached at [email protected]

• I wonder if we’ll ever see a time when TX Republican lawmakers stop pandering to their base and actually use the US Constitution as a guide to their legislating instead of the Christian Bible?

• Leah Nash’s cartoon squarely hit the target. The hypocrisy is so blatant and astounding it is buffoonish.