Players tackle hunger, look to make impact in community

PRINT-DSC_0236

The Cougars spent a summer afternoon volunteering with Feed the Children and Target Hunger, collecting food for hungry families. | Michael Calderon/The Cougar

Two-a-days were put on pause and the football field was clear on a scorching Tuesday when more than a dozen Cougar football players gave back to their community during a charity event with Feed the Children at the Denver Harbor Multi-Service Center.

When the opportunity presented itself, many players jumped at the chance to donate their time and were excited to do it as a team.

“I get a chance to bond and develop a better chemistry with my teammates, but this is bigger than us,” said junior linebacker Steven Taylor. “This is for the community, and it just feels awesome to be helping them out. I’m blessed and truly happy to be a part of it.”

Partnered with Concord Hotels and Target Hunger, the team prepared and delivered more than 100,000 meals to 1,200 families in need.

“Those products can sustain a family for a week, so they don’t have to worry about where their next meal is coming from,” said Megan Brooks, event manager for Feed the Children.

Brooks, who coordinates sports and celebrity partnerships for Feed the Children, once worked as a community relations director at the University of Oklahoma, where she met current University of Houston Associate Athletics Director for Strategic Marketing & Communications David Bassity, and reached out to him in order to get the Cougars involved.

“Anytime we can give back to the community that supports us, it is a win-win for both sides,” said Bassity. “It helps for our guys to really see the impact they can have in the community and for the community to…see that our guys are committed to the city of Houston.”

Spirits were high during the handouts and, despite the 90 plus degree temperatures, the players were more than happy to break a sweat for something other than practice.

“I like seeing the smiles on everybody’s faces when we give them free food, water and whatever else helps,” said freshman tight-end Corey Manges.

Many of the volunteers prepared meals since the early morning hours, so the Cougars came in and immediately got to work, bringing some much needed fresh muscle.

For the team, it was not their first time being involved with charity work.

The Cougars have helped with book readings, working with other food banks and, most recently, working with the Red Cross after the Houston-wide flooding.

And with summer starting, there is still plenty of work to be done.

When children on free and reduced lunches come home for the break, it can put a huge strain on lower income families.

“Two meals a day have suddenly disappeared, but the children still want to eat,” said Donna Brownlow, director of food services for Target Hunger. “Finances don’t change just because school is out for the summer, so parents struggle to make ends meet.”

With the battle to end hunger still ongoing, the student-athletes at UH are looking to continue their partnerships with organizations like Feed the Children and Target Hunger and strive to support the community that supports them.

“The guys have been great and so engaging with the families,” Brooks said of the team’s efforts. “I know it’s hot, it’s hard work, but it might be easier than two-a-days.”