Stocked with new supplier, Shasta’s ready for National Ice Cream Day

D40A1939

The original Shasta’s, located at the old University Center, closed in 2012. But it returned in 2015 alongside the brand-new Student Center. | Jasmine Morris/The Cougar

In 1984, President Ronald Reagan wanted to mark a day specifically for ice cream activities and celebrations. He named July National Ice Cream Month, with the third Sunday of July being National Ice Cream Day.

This year, National Ice Cream Day falls on Sunday and Shasta’s Cones & More is the place to grab a cone on campus.

Shasta’s hasn’t been operating at the Student Center for long, having only opened it’s doors last semester but is a convenient place for students to seize a cold refreshment on a hot summer day.

With the potential contamination from Blue Bell Ice Cream, Shasta switched distribution relationships to Ashby’s Sterling Ice Cream to ensure safe products for their customers.

Shasta’s plans to continue its 10-year relationship with Blue Bell once confirmation has been sent out that the products are safe.

Aaron Arambula, a representative of Shasta’s, said it is unknown whether the switch has affected their clientele.

“Being in the summer, it is difficult to tell for sure. Some people don’t like the change, but most don’t mind it in the mean time,” he said.

Future plans for Shasta’s includes reconnecting back to the Blue Bell provider, ensuring safe products for the students and providing quality customer service.

“We plan to continue selling (high-caliber) ice cream,” Arambula said. “Once Blue Bell is back, it will be in our freezers.”