Commentary Football Sports

Safety position offers stability in the Cougars’ defense

Sophomore safety Trevon Stewart earned Freshman All-American honors after leading freshmen nationally with 126 tackles. | Justin Tijerina/The Daily Cougar

Trevon Stewart has been a cornerstone of the Houston defense for the past few seasons. In his senior year, the safety will be looking to put forward his best year yet. | File photo/The Cougar

Heading into 2015, the safety position holds little mystery for the Cougars. The free and strong slots both have starting players returning to the lineup after quality performances a year ago.

The UH secondary was a strength of the defense last season, with the safeties leading the way in terms of both leadership and statistics.

This year should be no different, as they can be the most dominant position group on the team again, and perhaps even in the country.

Adrian McDonald (5’10”, 190)- This former offensive high school standout seemed to have completed his transition to defense in 2014, leading the team in turnovers with five interceptions and three forced fumbles.

The strong safety was a stout presence in the secondary, collecting 75 tackles en route to spots on multiple honors lists, including the 2014 American Athletic Conference First Team.

This off-season, he has garnered attention from many, making it onto several watch lists for major collegiate awards and preseason AAC first-team lists.

McDonald was even honored as the “Top Defensive Back in Texas” by Dave Campbell’s Texas Football Magazine.

Heading into 2015, the senior should again be the leader of the secondary and a lock for the starting strong safety spot.

Trevon Stewart (5’9”, 185)- A team captain in 2014, Stewart held down the starting free safety job for 12 of 13 games. He finished the year fifth on the team with 56 tackles, including two for a loss, while also tallying three interceptions.

Despite his solid play, last season was a down year for the senior safety, who finished with over 100 tackles in each of the two prior seasons and lead the nation with 10 turnovers in 2013.

Stewart is a player with good instincts who isn’t afraid to be physical and throw his body into the fray.

In 2015, look for the converted corner to return to form and once again form a solid duo with McDonald.

Earl Foster (6’0”, 192)- Foster is a former three-star recruit out of Lamar High School and is the most experienced safety on the roster behind McDonald and Stewart.

In 2014, he played in 11 games and recorded his first career interception against Grambling State University while serving as a backup safety and special teams contributor.

Though he doesn’t have a lot of statistics to his name, it is more a product of the quality in front of him than his ability.

In the coming season, Foster should be the first safety off the bench should an injury occur.

Best of the rest- Sophomore Khalil Williams was removed from redshirt midway through 2014 after injuries in the secondary, and collected nine tackles in seven game appearances for Houston.

A former three-star recruit, Williams was named to the Houston Chronicle’s Top 100 his senior year of high school and could challenge Foster as the number one backup.

Michael Eke, Darius Gilbert and Garrett Davis are all promising young freshmen with excellent size for the position and solid high school resumes who could be the future of the safety position.